From Frédéric THOMAS <webdoubl...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Rushing into Git
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:50:16 GMT
Hi,

The only problem at the moment seems that the svn/git mirroring is slow.

I don't know if it's applicable for asf or even if they already considered
it but in the last company I've been working for, they used subgit [1] to
mirror the svn repositories and after a one-time setup which cloned our svn
repo, the mirroring was almost instaneous (both sides), the benefit is
keeping svn as main repository while having the ability to work with git
transparently.

[1] http://subgit.com/

- Fred.

-----Message d'origine-----
From: Carlos Rovira
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:32 AM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Rushing into Git

Hi Bertrand,

2012/11/22 Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>

> FWIW, my reservations were based on
>
> a) Git support from ASF infra is still experimental and needs
> knowledgeable volunteeers (I'd even say Git experts) in the PMC to
> work.

I count 46 projects on GIT (see https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf) so
it's hard for me continue to think it's "experimental" today.

> b) One of the arguments that we keep hearing is that Git will
> magically cause tons of code contributions to land here. Besides
> drive-by contributions (small, obvious things) which are easier with
> github, I'm not convinced of that.

As you say, maybe this will end not happen, but it could be the opposite,
and walk backwards like crabs: Staying in GIT could bring less
contributions than expected or make potential contributors not encourage to
expend the time since they are not confortable with the overall process.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología