From Frédéric THOMAS <webdoubl...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Who's a flex compiler-configuration pro on this list?
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2012 07:14:22 GMT
>The main issue with Adobe making its stuff Maven friendly is legal.  There
is stuff in the AIR SDK that Adobe doesn't want to put in the "open" world.
It appears from my reading that plenty of other Maven apps are built with
closed source code via "mavenizers" that copy downloaded assets into local
repos.

I guess no company use this kind of approach we use with the mavenizer,
instead, they build their maven project, which generate eveything directly
mavenized.
A company may want to put some artifacts public without sources, that's a
common use but for what there's in Adobe SDKs, that's already public in some
way, everyone can already download them, what would be the point to not make
them available as well via Maven ?

>Why is this not ok for big companies?

For big companies, the common rule is to accept artifacts from few quite
known public repositories only and if the artifacts are not in snapshot
version, so, very far from what we propose via the mavenizer where they will
have to do things by hand.

>Christopher Dutz gave me the impression that all Adobe would have to do is
place a pom.xml alongside each playerglobal.swc.  Is there more to it?

You gonna discuss that with Chris I suppose but, for me and the work
experiences I've got, as Flex is an entreprise framework and as I told you,
the rule in big company is to accept artifact from known public repositories
only, if none of the Adobe SDKs become public, in my current knwoledge of
the thing, we close the door to the big company to use flexmojos 6 (the only
one that make use of the apache flex sdk), they will continue to use the old
flexmojos which work with the previous versions of the mavenized SDKs but
won't use the new one, maybe a futur flexmojos 7 which will deal only with
the apache flex sdk and with no Air.
The only way, with flexmojos 6, to open the door to big companies, is to
mavenize and make public the adobe sdks and the apache one.

>I'm confused where you said in the other response that adt.jar has
everything you need, but here you say the entire AIR SDK is needed.

Me too actually, the airglobal.swc and the adt.jar is apparently everything
needed, I don't know if the use of the updater, the file promized and the
other classes from the Air sdk are very used, but I guess that comes in
complement to the flex sdk, am I wrong ?

- Fred.

> The mavenizer replace at the moment the lack of public repositories, even
> if
> it's good enough for individuals and small companies, it is not for big
> ones.
The main issue with Adobe making its stuff Maven friendly is legal.  There
is stuff in the AIR SDK that Adobe doesn't want to put in the "open" world.
It appears from my reading that plenty of other Maven apps are built with
closed source code via "mavenizers" that copy downloaded assets into local
repos.  Why is this not ok for big companies?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team