From Hordur Thordarson <hor...@lausn.is>
Subject Re: Flex 5 in haxe
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:33:25 GMT
On 20.11.2012, at 22:14, Kevin Newman wrote:

> Mark Zuckerberg also said very publicly that Facebook "burned" (his word) 2 years of
development with HTML5, "We burned two years. That's really painful. Probably we will look
back saying that is one of the *biggest mistakes* if not *the biggest strategic mistake* that
we made." It was less of a "cave" and more of a fundamental shift in understanding (and a
correct one).

Agreed and that's really what I ment by "caved in", they just realized it was never going
to be as good as a native app.  The problem with HTML5/JS as an app mechanism is that it just
wasn't designed for that.  Some changes have been made to it in order to make it easier to
write applications (as opposed to web sites which is a totally different thing) but it really
isn't very good for that at all except maybe for small apps.  The JavaFX crowd is having the
exact same discussion the Flex crowd is, except pretty much no one in the JavaFX crowd wants
to deploy to HTML/JS.  They want JavaFX runtimes for mobile so that they can have one set
of code and the same or very similar runtime everywhere (sound familiar ?).  And the community
is actually working towards a solution that gives them that.  But Oracle, like Adobe, seems
to have given into the "HTML5 for everything" rhetoric so they are at least currently not
backing this.

> This is where Adobe has an opportunity with AIR, that they seem intent on failing to
capitalize on (at least in their marketing narratives, and the signals the decision makers
are sending out into the market place - the Flash engineers are doing pretty cool stuff with
stage3D and whatnot).

Yep, very frustrating that Adobe gave up on this vision because they had by far the strongest
dev/deployment story out there with almost the best of everything. with Flash player or AIR
for the desktop and AIR for mobile and almost single source for all the platforms (UI tweaks/diffs
for phones/tablets obviously).  This is of course still possible, we just don't know how long
it is going to last :-(  But while it works, I hope Apache Flex will continue to be maintained/improved
in it's current shape.

> Anyway, Apache Flex doesn't need to wait for Adobe's higher-ups to figure it out - Flex
can go HaXe, and have a multi-platform ubiquity story and an open source story to boot.

Sure.  I have to say though that my clients don't really care if the tools I use are open
source or not or whether the language I write in is ActionScript or Haxe or smth else.  They
care about functionality, usability, cross-platformness and ease of deployment/updating of
the resulting product, and they also want development to cost as little as possible, hence
the less problems I have during dev and the less testing I have to do in multiple browsers
or with multiple runtimes, the better.