From "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: Latest on Maven (was Re: AW: Promoting Apache Flex)
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:24:20 GMT
But for maven and flexmojos to work, we don't actually need the runtime available ... all we
need are "playerglobal.swc" and "airglobal.swc" ... that's it.
Currently Flexmojos uses the flashplayer and adr from the Path but I was thinking of extending
Flexmojos to automatically download the runtimes when generating the FDKs on my own.

It would be enough just to be able to deploy the playerglobal and airglobal.

Would this be possible?

Chris

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 14. November 2012 17:10
An: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Latest on Maven (was Re: AW: Promoting Apache Flex)

On 11/14/12 2:11 AM, "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>
wrote:

> There were things, that were really annoying:
> - No Flex FDKs in public Maven repos due to licensing stuff (Even if
> the player stuff still needs to be referenced ... @Alex ... you
> mentioned some internal discussions at Adobe about this ... any
> changes you'd like to share?)
I got a lot of warm fuzzies in my meeting.  The killer issue seems to be that the AIR SDK
actually contains the AIR runtime for the "captive runtime"
feature.  Legal says they are going to ponder if there are licenses that still protect not
just Adobe, but the closed-source third-party code in the runtimes, but they are doubtful.
 I also have a query out about whether the runtimes in the AIR SDK are true executables or
more like libraries for the packager, which could give us some wiggle room.

Anyway, I think the answer is going to be that the runtimes can't be downloaded directly by
Maven.

I suppose one could argue that many Maven users don't need the AIR SDK or at least, the runtimes
in the AIR SDK if they aren't building mobile apps with Maven.  We could take that angle if
that's really true and try to get a subset of the AIR SDK under Maven.

But my research indicates that in general, Maven users download other proprietary stuff and
host it in their own private Maven repos, so the Mavenizers in Apache could certainly help
take downloaded AIR SDKs and PlayerGlobal and deploy to private Maven repos.

I'll let you know if I hear otherwise.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team