From "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: Promoting Apache Flex
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:11:29 GMT
Mabe we should especially point out that now evolution of flex is no longer limited by politics
of a company.

There were things, that were really annoying:
- No Flex FDKs in public Maven repos due to licensing stuff (Even if the player stuff still
needs to be referenced ... @Alex ... you mentioned some internal discussions at Adobe about
this ... any changes you'd like to share?)
- BlazeDS not supporting NIO directly (Probably because this would have ruined a lot of business
done with the ColdFusion Server)
- Bugs not being fixed for a really long time (Now at least I could start fixing and have
it out of the FDK right away)

Those were at least the things that annoyed me most ;-)

Chris

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Erik de Bruin [mailto:erik@ixsoftware.nl]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 14. November 2012 10:15
An: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Promoting Apache Flex

Hello all,

Now the Installer is released, and with graduation (maybe ;-)) right around the corner, I
think it's time to start thinking about how we are going to promote Apache Flex to "the rest
of the world". After the bad press surrounding the donation of Flex by Adobe at the start
of this year and the relative quiet after that while we were all working to get the project
into shape, the time has come to let everyone know that Flex is here to stay and get even
better!

How are we going to do this? I think we should use the time tested strategy of 'shouting from
the rooftops'. We need to make a lot of noise, letting everyone know we're still here, alive
and kicking. Those that should do the shouting include, but should not be limited to:

- Spoon
- Apache Flex blog
- Twitter
- Adobe forums
- Adobe blogs
- Flash Builder Welcome page
- Facebook
- LinkedIn
- Mailing lists
- User Groups
- 'Old school' Press
- ...

The message should focus on the continuing availability and development of the framework and
it's tools, as well as the greatly improved means of distributing current and new releases:
the Apache Flex SDK Installer. Also, the badge that goes with the Installer [1] provides an
easy way for bloggers/tweeters/posters to add a link to the Installer to their communications.

Now: what do you think? And, maybe even more important: how can YOU contribute?

Have fun!

EdB

1: http://incubator.apache.org/flex/utilities.html#installerBadge

--