From "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Summary of the SVN/Git acccess
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:53:09 GMT
Hi,

sorry for mass posting this week ... it's just that I'm doing a lot of talking to other guys
form Apache here at the ApacheCon.

Yesterday I have to admit that I was sort of confused after reading the posts on this list
about Subversion, Git and which repos are available and how changes are transfered to what
repos. So at lunch I saw Gavin from the infrastructure team sitting on the table next to me,
so I sort of took the opportunity to clarify stuff for me. I thought this might be interesting
for the rest ... so here goes:

Currenntly each project under the hood of Apache has two choices:

Choice number one: Subversion (Currently used by Flex)
In this case there is a subversion repo available. This is currently what the flex project
uses.

There is a svn repo available at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/{top-level-project-name}<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/%7btop-level-project-name%7d>
or https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/{incubator-project-name}<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/%7bincubator-project-name%7d>.
For flex this is: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/sdk

Each SVN repo is automatically cloned to Github https://github.com/apache/ flex' repo is available
under https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk

If the Subversion repo is updated, this change is automatically replicated to the github repo
in about 5 minutes. However changes to the Github repo are NOT AUTOMATICALLY sent back to
the subversion repository. This has to be done manually.

Every project can REQUEST to have a read-only git repo hosted at http://git.apache.org/ for
the flex project this is git://git.apache.org/flex-sdk.git on the http://git.apache.org/ page
there are also some links to both the git.apache.org as well as the github clones.

Choice number two: Git
Currently Apache seems to offer it's projects the alternative to use git as a central repository.
This is available under: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/ but the Project has to officially
request this to be changed. In contradiction to the "BIG FREAKING NOTE<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/docs/switching-to-git.html#contents>"
on the page, it seems that project are allready using this. As the "wip = Work in Progress"
suggests, the url will certainly change in the near future.

Syncing this with github should be easyly handled.

The process of swithing seems to be that at a given time the project confirms that the current
state of the git-readonly-clone should be used as base of the new git repo and then simply
that repo is cloned to: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/. The only thing that would stay in
subcersion would be the content of the website, as this currently doesn't support git.

Hope I got everything right :)

Chris