From Kevin Newman <Capta...@unFocus.com>
Subject Re: What to expect from FalconJS
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 04:53:06 GMT
There are two different Flash related LLVM products at Adobe, afaik.

They have an LLVM frontend which takes ABC code and turns that into ARM
code for packing on iPhone. Then there's the Alchemy stuff, which is an
LLVM backend, for generating ABC bytecode from other front ends like C
and C++. There are lots of stack exchange posts about both of these, and
how they work.

I'd guess neither of those are actually useful to build an AS3 front end
(well maybe the ABC front end has similar data structures? IDK).

Apache can't leverage either, since Adobe hasn't opened them up. I was
more curious about what would be involved with starting from scratch on
an LLVM frontend for AS3 (or starting from a similar one, like
JavaScript - I couldn't find one though). I assume it's a great deal of
work (probably prohibitively so) - but I'm still curious. :-)

I have no idea if they are using LLVM in future versions of ASNext
compilers - but I have thought they would, cause why not! Recent info on
ASC2.0 (like their inline optimization) suggests maybe not. I don't
know, you'd have to ask the folks at Adobe (so far they ain't talking
much about ASNext though - I got the most info yet on it from this list).

Kevin N.