From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flex 5 in haxe
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:53:22 GMT
again thats true only today and still for a little few years from now,
just because HTML5 is not fully ready yet.
i really don't understand your optimism about flash runtimes, when even
Adobe made a big shift to HTML5, and narrowed flash runtimes to a
specific area.

i personnaly was still optimist, until Adobe shifted. Because i believed
that the flash runtimes were still usefull and better choice against
HTML5 for several years until JS evolved to something better and HTML5
gain in performances.
i tought that Adobe could have managed a smooth transition from plugin
world to HTML5 world by ouputing the previous swf, to the new runtime.
And the flash platform, meaning tools and frameworks (including flex)
would be very relevant in an HTML5 world with that output shift. I was
hoping that pushed by the developpers, JS could have evolved to an OOP
language quite close to what AS3 is today. (AS3 is by essence a
proposition of a future of JS)

But Adobe did not chose this smooth path, so now im very pessimistic.

Le 17/11/2012 18:34, Hordur Thordarson a écrit :
> Yeah well Firefox is in a hole re the Flash plugin because they need it for video playback
(H264) which btw is driving a lot of web usage these days.

> I haven't been following the dev of the Chrome pepper stuff so I can't comment on that.
 I do use Flash in Chrome a lot though and haven't had any major problems.  But YMMV as always.

> As for the plugin architecture in the browser, it is allready mostly gone from mobile
browsers, but I don't think it will dissappear from desktop browsers any time soon because
there are still a lot of things the Flash plugin can do that the browsers can't and there
is also an enormous amount of software out there that requres the Flash plugin and developers
like are still adding more, just look at the activity in Flash based games running in the
browser (Zynga, Rovio and a bunch of others are still happily churning out Flash based games).