From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flex 5 in haxe
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:39:38 GMT
Adobe's roadmap continue to believe in flash player and AIR. ok. but not
at all for enterprise Apps.
first consequence is that any new capability like workers will be only
for the new VM we cant access with AS3 flex. (which was quite a big
surprise for me)
if tomorrow a great platform comes out, and is well suited for
enterprise apps, but not for gaming. flex is screwed for sure.
if tomorrow Adobe dont manage to make money on gaming, (don't forget
that in that area, theres already tools like Unity which are much more
advanced and widely used) they could decide to not continue to improve
AIR on mobile etc.
even if Adobe continue to port AIR on new devices, flex will only use an
old abandoned VM. Again its like if you were still trying to maintain an
AS2 framework in an AS3 world (its even worse).

And you pointed out the Adobe's roadmap for flash platform. But check
also their active work on HTML5 area. everyone is preapring itself for a
less plugins world, before a non plugin world. And the shift of Adobe
was quite a very early and brutal one. (which was a bad decision IMO,
but flex has to deal with it)

Do you really want flex to be totally dependant on Adobe's decisions?
even if Their strategy has nothing to do with apps?
Did not the last year afraid you enough?

The flex future is out of Adobe depency, and it has to be prepared as
soon as possible. even if we still have a few years before the
unevitable big shift happens.

Le 17/11/2012 17:20, Hordur Thordarson a écrit :
>> If we have a solution like Haxe, we can debug in a local native output, and use the
HTML/JS output only as a release.
> That to me is a recipe for problems, test/debug on one runtime, deploy to another one,
you'll get situations where smth works in testing/debug but doesn't or works differently in
your release build.  Not good.

>> but if you take the fact that the plugin word is getting to an end
>
> I don't agree with that.  Here's Adobe's roadmap on this:
>
> "Adobe believes that the Flash runtimes are particularly and uniquely suited for two
primary use cases: creating and deploying rich, expressive games with console-quality graphics
and deploying premium video.  This shift in focus for Flash does not mean that existing content
will no longer run, or that Flash cannot be used for content other than gaming and premium
video. However, it does mean that when prioritizing future development and bug fixes, gaming
and premium video use cases will take priority."

> That to me says that Flash player/AIR aren't going away, quite the opposite in fact as
Flash player/AIR (for mobile) are core components of Adobe's new gaming strategy for building
a business on top of Flash.

>> but you don't get it anymore in the next flash builder versions, because of the Adobe's
strategy shift.
> Do we know this for sure ?  I've not read anything that tells me this.  And frankly,
I can't see how Adobe is going to monetize Flash without top-notch dev tools.  Indeed, their
roadmap says this:

> "The Flash runtimes provide a number of key advantages and differentiators as a gaming
platform, including the following: .... World-class creative and developer tooling including
Adobe Flash Builder, Adobe Flash Professional, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator".

> But maybe I'm reading all this wrong or maybe I'm believing too much what I think I'm
reading or maybe the people here advocating a HTML/JS strategy for Flex have been burned more
by Adobe than I have.

> On 17.11.2012, at 14:47, sébastien Paturel wrote:
>
>> Why? as we said it before, its only to get rid of Adobe's runtime for the long term
future of flex.
>> The last year should have convinced you thats its too dangerous to be so dependant
to Adobes decisions.
>> And no one wants to turn the AS3/MXML code to HTML/JS.  its only an alternative as
a runtime. You would still use the same AS3, the same Flash builder.
>> If we have a solution like Haxe, we can debug in a local native output, and use the
HTML/JS output only as a release.

>> "Flash builder with a pretty nice, WYSIWYG GUI builder"
>> but you don't get it anymore in the next flash builder versions, because of the Adobe's
strategy shift.

>> "the code you run/debug will not be the actual code you wrote"
>> but if you take the fact that the plugin word is getting to an end, theres not much
choices left. and you have to rely on a new layer which will replace the plugin.

>> "like the man said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
>> Again, the flex future is broken, and we have to fix it.

flex can do very well, why the hell would we try to render flex on HTML5 engine for
>>> My question exactly, why the heck, when we have the best cross-platform UI lib
out there with allready pretty darn good deployment options (from a technical/ubiquity perspective),
do we want to go and turn our AS3/MXML code into HTML and JavaScript for running in the browser?
 If the only thing that is gained by that is to get rid of the Adobe VM dependency then I
say we're giving up much more than we are getting.

>>> I'm using Flex and deploying to Flash player / AIR specifically so I don't have
to deal with HTML/JS/CSS.  And someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but currently I have
an excellent debugging experience for my Flex apps with FlashBuilder and Flash player, I can
set breakpoints, step through my code etc, works like a charm.  If Flex is rewritten and the
decision is made to compile to HTML/JS, as far as I can see, this experience has been downgraded
significantly because now I have to debug generated HTML/JS code, not my own code.  This is
the problem with cross-compilation.

>>> Also, what would the experience be on the dev tools side ?  Currently we have
Flash builder with a pretty nice, WYSIWYG GUI builder and as I said, a pretty nice compile-run-debug
experience.  If Flex is ported to Haxe or some other language, we are back to square one as
far as this is concerned.  If Flex sticks to AS3/MXML but then gets cross-compiled into HTML/JS,
then as I said above, the code you run/debug will not be the actual code you wrote.  All sorts
of new problems will follow.

>>> I'm really hoping I'm wrong and way to pessimistic about all this, and will happily
change my views on this if someone shows me some evidence that even though Flex is rewritten
and the Adobe dependency ditched, we will not loose the nice dev experience that Flex has
today.

>>> I'm a Apple/Mac guy and have been since the days of the Apple II.  I've been
programming for about as long.  And as such, I've often had the problem that I wanted to develop
on my Mac but be able to deploy to Windows, or both.  Out of the countless number of frameworks
and tools and programming languages that I've tried through the years, nothing at all matches
the Flex/Flash player/AIR combo.  Nothing, period.  And I think we owe it to Flex to not just
cut out most of what makes it great just to get rid of the Adobe dependency.  At the very
least, if a totally new Flex is started, possibly with another programming language and deployment
runtime, I would hope that there would also be an ongoing lobbying effort concerned with showing
Adobe what a great use of Flash player and AIR the Flex framework is, because there is nothing
seriously wrong with the Flex platform as it is, and like the man said, if it ain't broke,
don't fix it :-)

flex can do very well, why the hell would we try to render flex on HTML5 engine for native
apps.

Cordova?

I can tell you

Flex: a