From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flex 5 in haxe
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2012 15:28:51 GMT
for 1 - check haxe and nme, its made for cross platform from the ground
up, so yes. but im not expert/
for 2- if we would not be doomed to re write it, i would be the first to
be happy. but when Alex is the first to call for a rewrite because a
rearchitecturing is too difficult to get enough modularity, and to give
the community the ability to make it evolve, then i think we have not
much alternatives.

200 000 hours of work, but in that theres some hours about porting from
AS2 to AS3, some hours to do MX components and spark, when a new re
write could start only with spark, and theres a lot of time of API
conception which we will use back. i even think that we can use back a
lot of high level classes and all the api documentation, which is long
to take care of, and that we can use as it is, because the goal is to
get the same API at the end (at least a big part of it).

Le 17/11/2012 16:19, Nils Dupont a écrit :
> "I think that Haxe is such a "all use cases" solution when AS3 + Cordova is
> not (unless someone proves the contrary)."
> Of course not, it is what I said a few times in this discussion.
> I don't know Haxe, another time, and I have nothing against the perspective
> of using this technology.
> But just 2 questions :
> 1) Can you access to native features like Camera, Accelerometer, File
> system, etc. easily with Haxe, and is it cross-platform, I mean able to run
> the same on different OS?
> http://docs.phonegap.com/en/2.2.0/guide_getting-started_index.md.html
> 2) Don't you think that the effort of rewriting totally the Flex framework
> with Haxe is not too big for the community?
> I don't remember who said that in this discussion but Flex represents
> something like 200,000 hours of work...
> Nils
>

> 2012/11/17 sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.flex@gmail.com>
>
>> Hi Carlos,
>> By the way thank you for the initiative :)
>> Yes i agree that theres a point about simple use cases against complex app
>> use cases.
>> But if we must consider different solution for every target, it will be
>> much more difficult to achieve and maintain, compared to a global solution
>> which can fit to all use cases.
>> I think that Haxe is such a "all use cases" solution when AS3 + Cordova is
>> not (unless someone proves the contrary).
>>
>> But one thought here, maybe mad one
>> if we really start a re write from scratch, why not maintain two language
>> versions of the new framework?
>> one in AS3 with Alex solution (whatever it is) for cross platform which
>> has the big advantage to keep using the already existing AS3 code around
>> and make the transition more easy.
>> And in parallel tranlate it to haxe which would be a beter solution for
>> very new projects (still has to be discussed of course).
>> I think that:
>> - its doable, as AS3 and haxe are very similar, and if we port any new
>> piece of code created in AS3 to haxe anytime time its checked in, it should
>> not be so much work to achieve and to keep in synch.
>> - it gives the best of the two worlds.
>> I agree that its a bit a contradiction with what i complained just above :p
>>

>> Le 17/11/2012 15:05, Carlos Rovira a écrit :
>>
>>   Hi Sebastien,
>>> I have use cases where I would need something tiny to be deployed to the
>>> browser. We have huge products based on Flex/JEE, and our interface can do
>>> lots of things. But our product could be in mobile browsers integrated in
>>> diferent webs. We cannot do this right now without targeting HTML/JS.
>>>
>>> So I'd be happy to be able to develop that components and tiny
>>> developments
>>> for "browser-mobile" with the same client technology. So this will be make
>>> to reuse libraríes and all kind of things (maven, IDE knowledge,
>>> deployment
>>> strategies....) I only need to select a diferent output...in this case
>>> HTML/JS.
>>>
>>> I'm with you that I would not plan to make any of our huge flex apps in
>>> HTML5, we are not mad! ;)
>>>

>>> 2012/11/17 sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.flex@gmail.com>
>>>
>>>   i was in fact talking about enterprise app.

Flex

I can tell

Flex:
We took