From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] - Must Flex 5 be a complete rewrite or can flex code base be re-architectured?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:34:17 GMT
i don't see any conflit here.
it's timeframe consideration.
In short term we maintain and make little enhancements (like better
performances, with starling for example) to the current framework which
has still viability for several years (not over 5 i think)
And we prepare the long term, with a new code base rewrite.

If you develop browser based front-ends you already has an issue with
flex, as it will not run in tablets browsers !

"writing yet another Gui framework on top of HTML/JS/CSS"
Noone is proposing such a thing.
Flex needs to be cross platform and with OOP language.

"The runtime is free, easy to get and works the same in every browser
almost since time began"
Changing the source language does not mean that we don't deploy to the
flash runtimes.
Haxe is doing that very well.
But the question is: does keeping AS3 make it possible to target OTHER
runtimes like HTML5, or any other new in the future?

"Which means that there is plenty of time to wait for other, better
deployment possibilities to come along"
I don't understand what and from who you are waiting somthing new for
such a purpose?

Le 16/11/2012 15:07, Hordur Thordarson a écrit :

> Good points made by Ben and I totally agree that the rewrite-or-not decision cannot be
made without first knowing if this project is to be about maintaining and improving the current
Flex framework, or about creating a new and then possibly very different framework with little
or no legacy support.

> I develop browser based database front-ends and I have to say that there is nothing out
there that comes anywhere close to rivaling the maturity, abilities, development speed and
deployment conveniance of the current Flex/Flash player combo.  So while I understand the
problem of being tied to the AS3 VM and Flash player, unfortunately this same combo is a big
part of what makes Flex attractive to enterprize developers.  The runtime is free, easy to
get and works the same in every browser almost since time began.  Building database front-ends
and data vizualisation tools in HTML/JS/CSS requires you to give up a large chunk of your
sanity, because the technology is immature and non-standardized, the toolset is years behind
what Flex has and at deployment time you have to deal with endless browser diffs and bugs.

> So I certainly had hoped that Apache Flex would be about improving the current framework
rather than ditching it and writing yet another Gui framework on top of HTML/JS/CSS.

> My opinion is, having read what there is to be had, about Adobe's intentions with the
Flash player and ActionScript, that Flash player isn't going anywhere.  And while it is there,
it will most likely include the AS3 VM just like it has had the AS2 VM for years.  Which means

#5 which is the extremely easy, well known deployment of client apps to any desktop where
Flash player is available.