From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to prepare Apache Flex 5 to run in the new AVM in Flashplayer 12?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:36:31 GMT
If the question was adressed to me :)
Then i already answered it several times in the mailing list.
And i'd like to have your answer to this question too.

Thats why i launched the "what is the essence of flex" thread. But i was
dissapointed to not get more answers, especially from commiters.

I shared my humble opinion on this subject here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-flex-dev/201211.mbox/%3C50A55DE7.608@gmail.com%3E

Feel free to disagree :)

Le 16/11/2012 14:30, Erik de Bruin a écrit :
> Let me ask you this first: what, in your opinion, is Flex?
>
> EdB
>

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM, sébastien Paturel
> <sebpatu.flex@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> With that logic, why flex in AS4, or flex in Haxe or whatever not AS3,
>> would make it not to be Flex anymore?
>>
>> I understand the point about the large existing code base in AS3 and the
>> need to port to another language.
>> But when Adobe chose to change from AS2 to AS3 a lot of people ported
>> their code, because it was required.
>> When Adobe changed to Spark, it also needed some rewrite to be able to
>> gain on new capabilities.
>> And if we start a rewrite from scratch, it will be hard to keep everything
>> even in AS3 usable as is or am i wrong?
>> And if people want to use flex for cross platform, and especially HTML5,
>> you saif yourself that if we wanted to be able to get existing flex apps
>> and compile them directly to HTML5 was a dream.
>> Meaning that if people want to gain from new flex capabilities, it will be
>> with new project code, whether it is AS3 or something else.
>>
>> The questions are:
>> - Do we have efficient solutions to keep AS3 and be able to cross compile
>> to every platforms swf, HTML5, native iOS and native Android?
>> For example using Haxe gives a lot of advantages in that regard because
>> theres already a lot of work done for cross platform port and efficiency,
>> and theres a large community around it.
>> The essence of flex is more to be cross platform, than it is AS3 right? so
>> if we don't have efficient solution to cross compile AS3 to platforms other
>> than Adobe runtimes, its a matter of life and death choice:
>> do we prefer keep it in AS3 to keep the existing third party code base, or
>> do we want to survive with new language and stay cross platform but require
>> some rewrites.
>>
>> - Do we want flex to be tight to an abandonned language as AS3? It is like
>> if you were trying to keep an AS2 framework in an AS3 world.
>>
>> - Don't we want Apache flex to be as free as possible and get rid of Adobe
>> technology dependency, meaning AS, flash player, and AIR?
>>

>> Le 15/11/2012 22:26, Alex Harui a écrit :
>>

>>> On 11/15/12 12:24 PM, "sébastien Paturel" <sebpatu.flex@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>   So it means that Flex in AS2 was not flex?
>>> It was then, but now now.

 Of