From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] - Must Flex 5 be a complete rewrite or can flex code base be re-architectured?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:31:11 GMT
@Eric:
As Alex stated we dont need to be as full featured as flex 4 to be
successfull in this path. And if first releases are good, it could bring
more people to accelerate the dev
The question is does "working with what we have" has a future? Its great
for maintenance mode, and keep it do what it does today, but can we
consider a future, meaning a cross platform future with what we have today?

"wouldn't it be an entirely new project?"
IMO no, again it depends on what we consider the essence of flex is.And the API would be quite
the same.

@Stefan:
"The unique concrete information we have is an email from Thibault
warning about using Stage3D instead of DisplayObject."
We dont need more informations about VMNext and AS4 i think.
First even if its in AS3, the question of re architecturing still remains.
Second, we already know that the AS3 app will run on VMNext but any
enhancements will occure only in AS4.
We still need to confirm how hard it is to port AS3 to AS4, but it seems
quite a huge work according to people from this list who has access to
the specs of AS4. and if the framework is ported to AS4, how can we
target flash player 10 for example?

@Justin:
Again, if we could keep what we have and go ahead i'd be pleased too.
And starting from scratch sounds like a waste and a step backward for me.
But when i read Alex answers about the current architecture, i must be
more realistic.
Again, i know that Alex already gave a fairly try to break UIComponent
and concluded that it was very hard, and starting over was much more easier.
It would be great if Alex could share this experience with more details.