From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Kick starter
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:21:21 GMT
On 11/14/2012 12:06 PM, Maxime Cowez wrote:
> I think it would be great if there were an AutoComplete component
> built into Flex, but I do have some reservations with this approach.
> The biggest issue from my point of view is that one company/person
> would decide what the basic implementation will be, possibly making it
> harder for us to add the things we need later on.

   Isn't all development like that, though?  How many people did you
converse with before you tried your own implementation?

> For instance: for an AutoComplete component to be truly compatible
> with the existing Flex framework, I believe that its API should be as
> similar as possible to a List component (i.e. it must expose
> 'selectedItem', 'selectedItems', 'selectedIndices', etc. properties).
> If this kickstarter project decides to implement the component
> otherwise, it might be very hard to add this later on.

  The existing Flextras AutoComplete extends the Flex ComboBox; which
includes all those properties.  The new development will be an off-shoot
of the current Flextras AutoComplete.  Current ASDocs are here:
https://www.flextras.com/AutoCompleteComboBox/docs/asdocsSpark/spark/flextras/autoCompleteComboBox/AutoCompleteComboBoxLite.html

> To me it feels a bit like going back to the days that Adobe decided on
> the basic implementation and we were allowed to give some feedback. I
> must admit that feeling comes from the fact that I've put in a lot of
> hours myself, and I may not have anything to say in this project,
> unless I donated some money to the kickstarter project. Somehow that
> doesn't feel right.

  So, how do you propose I do things differently?  Feel free to contact
me privately if you prefer.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur