From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Flex 5 in haxe
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:17:46 GMT
Hi,

> I've said it before it is a really great idea to write Flex in a language
> that can be compiled to other platforms. Haxe is a great language that
> lives to its promise.
I only know a little about Haxe. Could you comment on what would be required (in terms of
skills and effort) to port Flex to Haxe? I know it's ActionScript like but is missing a few
features that Flex may be using? Other than compiling to multiple targets does it have any
other significant advantages? Any idea if there are likely to be major performance issues
due to the fact that Flex is reasonably complex and designed for the Flash VM?

> Going with Actionscript now would be a problem as it
> won't be long until the next Actionscript will come out and then Flex 5
> would have to be written again.
Currently I see no compelling reason to move to the new VM when it comes out. Once we know
more about it that may change but it sounds like it wont be compatible with AS3. The existing
one for the moment works and is likely to be around for many many years.

> I wonder how large the next Flash player would be in terms of file size.
Bigger but not significantly so I would guess (1.5x current size at most?). Again don't really
see this as an issue for not using it.

Thanks,
Justin