From Michael Schmalle <>
Subject Re: [FalconJS] concepts
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:39:24 GMT

Yeah, comparing the old MXMLC compiler to Falcon MXMLC code base is
like going from a stone cave to a highrise building in terms of

It uses JFlex to create the tokenizer so there is not lexer from antlr.

Anyway, others... I am not saying ditch work that has been done on
FalconJS and what it does, I'm going to experiment with Jangaroo and
there YEARS of development to see what I might come up with as far as
JS generation.

Besides in the end, there could always be "options". I want to be able
to work on coding something, this I can get right to work trying out
some ideas.

As with GCC, I haven't read enough about it but, sounds like I will
need to research it as well.

Quoting Frank Wienberg <>:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Michael Schmalle
> <>wrote:
>> I bet if I had some time I could port some of your generation code using
>> the Falcon AST.
> Mike, that would be the way to go!
> I believe every word you say about the Falcon compiler, since my
> information about the Flex compiler is surely outdated. I guess they were
> not using ANTLR back then and the whole architecture has been cleaned up in
> the meantime.
> We wanted to have had a closer look recently, but honestly we did not know
> where to start.
> Sounds to me like in a common effort, it should be possible to join Falcon
> and Jangaroo's AST-based JS code generation! Wow!
> Concerning GCC, it is said to have the best compression factor in the
> market when using "advanced optimizations", which only work when providing
> the correct type hints, so we would have to generate these like Bernd
> proposed on his FalconJS blog. And GCC has some real cool features like it
> can output JavaScript source
> maps<>,
> which again is the optimal way to support debugging generated JS code
> directly in the browser. However, for this feature, I would not run the
> generated JS code through GCC, but experimented with reusing their Java
> library for creating the source maps directly during code generation (this
> is on a branch called "source-maps" in the jangaroo-tools github project).
> -Frank-

Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC

View raw message