From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: [FalconJS] concepts
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 00:44:49 GMT
Quoting Frank Wienberg <frank@jangaroo.net>:

> Totally agreed, Mike! We're facing a great opportunity, but also a big
> challenge.
> Adobe's code is, especially considering the lack of a language
> specification, the best you can get to parse ActionScript 3.

I have written an AS3.g (1600 lines) file with a rewrite tree, I know
how bad the language is. BTW, Falcon uses an antlr grammar for the
parser, did you know that?

However, when
> we (especially Andreas Gawecki, the original author of the Jangaroo
> compiler) looked at the Flex compiler code, we found it quite complex and
> wondered why no grammer / parser generator had been used. It all seems
> hand-coded. So we decided to stick with our compiler, at least for a while.
> Also, we did not want to emulate SWF / SWC, but rely on generated JS code +
> AS3 API stubs. All relevant tools can handle that very well: we use ASDoc
> and IntelliJ IDEA's ActionScript support successfully. We only had to
> create Jangaroo-specific build-tool support, namely a Maven plugin.
> So both compilers have their advantages, and we would like to unite them,
> but that seems like a long way to go.

I don't think so. The Falcon compiler has a two APIs, ast nodes(low
level) and definition nodes(high level). It is a very robust design.

> Can somebody explain why it is not easy or even not possible to use Falcon
> to create the AST and refactor the Jangaroo JSCodeGenerator from the
> Jangaroo-AST to the Falcon-AST to produce the JS output? I don't really get
> the SWF/JBurg part...

I think as far as AST we could do anything, I love the Falcon
compiler. I think the way JS is created AFTER the compile sucks.

I bet if I had some time I could port some of your generation code
using the Falcon AST.

Maybe there is a translation thing happening here, I didn't say that
it's not easy to create falcon AST, I said the processing step AFTER
AST creation is convoluted in my opinion. It's not accessible to the
average higher level dev.

JBurg is used to create a reducer and emitter for js source code.

> One thing that's good in FalconJS and missing in Jangaroo is to produce
> output that Google Closure Compiler can optimize well. I think it should
> not be too hard, but it seems to conflict with Jangaroo's goal to keep the
> output format as close as possible to the AS source code, and of course it
> has to be done.

I can't comment on this since I'm not to versed in JS.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com