From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: FalconJS "Demo" checked in
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:06:51 GMT
Ha,

I just spent 2 hours looking at the code in FalconJS to try and
understand the pattern.

 From a highlevel I get what they are doing but when it actually comes
to programming, there is so much indirection and composition I highly
doubt I could even attempt to use this pattern to create anything in
the next 2 years.

I have experience with code emitting but it used actual AST, no JBurg
and no reducers etc.

I may be getting confused to what is actually needed in a simple cross
compiler but to me it seems;

- gather all sourcepaths
- gather libraries
- execute a build target that will create the compilation units
- create a walker/visitor/emitter framework that recursively visits
each compilation unit
- foreach compilation unit emit the correct code that will create the
"mirror" platform code.

I know I must sound completely naive here but for what is trying to be
accomplished it seems that FalconJS is overly complicated for what it
is outputing.

 From my research, it seems the engineers just copied a lot of classes
over from the ABC byte code generation framework and replaced things
to fit a javascript impl.

I know they created a "backend" API but to me again and PLEASE some
one that is 100 times smarter than me tell me I'm wrong in assuming to
create JS or Java you could just loop through compilation units and
use a hand written visitor/emitter?!

So.. really I am out of my ballpark with even trying to understand the
JS classes they have because they are connected to 100's of different
objects being passed around.

Mike