From Michael Schmalle <>
Subject Re: FalconJS "Demo" checked in
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:49:37 GMT

Challenge accepted.

I was just looking through the cmc-js.jbg file. I actually think this
might be doable. The JavaScript impl looks very complicated but,
that's because it's doing a lot of things right now as far as building
the .js code.

I'm going to start small and see what I get. The first order of
business is just trying to hack together the base framework (emitter)
using FalconJS as a template.

If I can get C working we are going somwhere. That will take awhile,
I'll let you know what I discover.

Quoting Alex Harui <>:

> On 11/28/12 11:27 AM, "Michael Schmalle" <> wrote:
>> Are we creating just views? Are we creating business logic? As you can
>> see I have confused myself here.
>> What would be really kewl is if someone reading this says, Mike I bet
>> you can go from A to B to C then D. If I saw the whole prototype flow
>> in front of me I probably could make it work some how.
> OK, so if you take the code I've checked in, the workflow is this:
> A) Developer had FlexJSTestMXML.mxml and MyInitialViewMXML.mxml and
> and
> B) I hand-converted FlexJSTestMXML.mxml to and
> MyInitialViewMXML.mxml to
> C) I feed and FlexJSUI.swc to FalconJS
> D) I get a bunch of JS files
> E) I mimic the AS controls in FlexJSUI.swc in js/framework.js
> F) I hand-create an index.html to load all of the .js files
> G) I run it in the browser (FireFox).
> The parallel as I see it is that you start with B and:
> C') Feed and FlexJSUI.swc to FalconJava
> D') You get a .jar
> E') You mimic the AS controls in FlexJSUI.swc in java/framework.jar.  They
> should be thin wrappers on native Android controls, just like framework.js
> is a thin wrapper on native HTML controls
> F') You package it up into an APK.
> G') You run it on Android device.
>> JBurg is just grammar, it took me about 3 months to finally learn
>> ANTLR and it's rewriting syntax. So if I had a clear path of what I
>> was trying to prototype with Java I would put time into learning JBurg.
>> What would be interesting is paralleling what you are implementing in
>> JS (your proto components) with Java Android. I know some people would
>> say this is ridiculous but it would be a path to a prototype.
> What I don't know is if it is 'ridiculous' or not.  If it isn't, it could be
> pretty cool.
> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team