From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: FalconJS "Demo" checked in
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:01:14 GMT
Very interesting Alex. I like this quote:

"The initial versions will be relatively feature-poor compared to
Flex, but the hope is that the architecture is small enough and
modular enough to allow Apache Flex community members, many who are
participating in their spare time, to participate without having to be
immersed in the internals of the framework."

Seems to be the only way out of the forest.

So since you actually have a working prototype, what do you see the
priorities of action here and the levels of contribution?

I looked at FalconJS. The problem with me is the lowlevel nature of
the SWF format being involved in the cross compilation. In a way I
understand why the engineer chose this route but... are we going to
shot oursevles in the foot because we have "one more layer" that
community members would have to be proficient in to work on it?

Also, I haven't put much time into this thought but, since I have now
read your "Non-Goals" and "Pay as You Go", I would venture to guess at
least exploring a simple implementation using straight AST/IDefinition
would be worth checking out with FlaconJS.

My problem is we have Flacon which is a huge parser/compiler, MXML
which is another animal and then FlaconJS which using block code just
makes this project insanely complicated for the casual developer.

he other problem is I have really no knowledge with the latest and
greatest JS techs, so I am seeing what people are saying to even get a
clue as to what the output would be.

Well, a ramble but my post should just say, Should we try a cross
compilation impl that only uses the IDefinition/AST Nodes API to keep
it simple?

Using the proto FalconJS we are STILL tied to Adobe and the SWF/SWC
spec, to my knowledge that is not considered ActionScript correct?

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com