From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: How to prepare Apache Flex 5 to run in the new AVM in Flashplayer 12?
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:38:52 GMT
Quoting Greg Reddin <gredbug@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Michael Schmalle
> <apache@teotigraphix.com>wrote:
>
>> Well, I didn't say it but what you wrote is exactly what I would have said
>> if I didn't already have my rant points for this week used up.
>>
>> I wrote the previous to show I can be diplomatic. ;-)
>>
>> If you search the 100's of rants from me in the archives, I have always
>> been saying burn baby burn.
>>
>> Sometimes the phoenix needs to rise from the ashes, there is no ashes yet
>> to rise form.
>>

> The beauty of where this project is now is that nothing is stopping one or
> a few people from starting work on Flex 5. If that's where your heart is
> just do it :-) It can be in the form of some prototypes in code or
> documentation expressing some ideas or discussions on the list or whatever.
>
> I know there's tons and tons of work to do in the "current" version, but we
> always need to be thinking ahead to what's next. It seems like it would be
> good to have a basic framework in place to move forward on when we get
> there. We need the "thinkers" to be there already so the "doers" can jump
> in and start doing when things are boiled down to a set of tasks.
>
> Greg

I admit actions are the only way out of the woods. I wrote the asdoc
prototype the week Falcon came into Apache, to prove to myself that we
can now have an intimate relationship with a compiler. Yes it's not in
my whiteboard for various reasons but I did post a link to the
documentation it produced for Apache Flex 4.8.

Alex had mentioned back in January that he had a prototype of a more
modular approach to the component framework. For a man who has worked
on the Flex framework since eons, I would love to "just see" what he
had in mind.

I will honestly say that I have no idea what would be a good way to
start a prototype for Flex 5 other than a community discussion
bridging today with tomorrow and throwing code at the wall when we
have a lazy consensus on what people would be willing to start aiming
at.

Alex has years of optimization understanding that I don't have. But
here again this optimization was centered around how ActionScript
performed in the VM FlashPlayer.

Anyway, I just don't think I'm qualified to start prototyping
something that has so many view points.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC