From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: How to prepare Apache Flex 5 to run in the new AVM in Flashplayer 12?
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:53:41 GMT
Quoting Omar Gonzalez <omarg.developer@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Nick Tsitlakidis
> <nickt@perfectedz.com>wrote:
>
>> Carlos is suggesting a very nice way to solve all problems. But my opinion
>> is that a total rewrite needs A LOT of time and planning and at this the
>> most active people in the list are too few to handle something like this
>> and the others (less active) are just getting their feet wet.
>>
>> I think there is a long road and community engagement to reach a level
>> where a total rewrite in another version of AS can happen.
>>
>> So the question is what happens with the current codebase while the project
>> advances to reach that level.
>>

> My guess would be nothing happens to the current codebase. We keep fixing
> bugs. AVM2 isn't going anywhere. Just because there's a shiny new toy
> doesn't mean they'll break thousands if not millions of apps because they
> have a new shiny VM.
>
> -omar

That being said, wouldn't it be advantageous to think about APIs that
could stand the test of major refactors and start migrating or add
extensions to the current code base that would give developers the
option to start moving towards the next framework?

I mean, a public API is just that, what goes on under the surface is
for the low level developers to think about and implement.

So you have Flex 5 that starts to really use this new API that maybe
uses some adapters to fit some popular components under the API while
creating more modular revisions at the same time.

I think some type of simultaneous refactor is possible giving the
amount of brains around here.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC