From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Flex 5 in haxe
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:27:45 GMT
> Since Falcon has little support of MXML, I see we don't loose almost nothing.

Given that Falcon can compile MXML apps like Checkinapp, I don't think it's accurate to characterize
its level of MXML support as "little". My own characterization would be "80% complete". But
completing the other 20% is a daunting task ( it's certainly many person-months of work) and
not enough people are stepping up to help. I'm guessing that this is because the major companies
who used to use Flex and swore that they had plenty of compiler engineers who would help finish
Falcon have moved on to other technologies.

So I agree that any and all compiler technologies, including Haxe, should get serious consideration.

However, I think before Apache Flex makes a compiler decision, it needs to decide what runtimes
it is targeting. Move to V12? Abandon Flash? Produce HTML/JS? Produce native iOS code? Produce
native Java for Android?

- Gordon