From Alex Harui <>
Subject Re: To AS4 or not (was: Re: ASC 2.0 and Falcon)
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:55:30 GMT

On 10/19/12 5:10 AM, "s├ębastien Paturel" <> wrote:

> The question is what amount of work does it require to port from AS3 to
> AS4 ?
Significant.  AS4 has made no promise to be backward compatible with AS3.

> It does not seems that the difference is as big as between AS2 and AS3
> right?
I think it will be bigger.  And, having been part of the AS2/AS3 port, it
was no fun at all, and we did not have a change to truly understand the
behavior of the new VM so we kept a lot of old constructs around that we are
still paying for today.
> I don't understand, what you mean in fact.
> Is the work required is about to target stage3D by using starling2D as a
> rendering layer? or is there more to do on the language side, needing to
> rewrite big parts of the framework?
Both, we have to use Stage3D and rewrite the entire framework.
> - If targeting AS4 means that we can't target AS3 as backward
> compatibility because of deep AS3 rewrite its nonsense for flex.
> - If targetting FlashPlayerNext means that we "just" need to change the
> rendering layer, even if some features of Flex can't be used
> (accessibility, native internationalization etc). The question is : Does
> the framework architecture allow it or is it too monolithic to make it
> happen?
IMO, too monolithic.  That's why I still want to "start over" at some point.
But mainly to target other platforms, not necessarily AS4.

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.

View raw message