incubator-flex-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stefan Horochovec <stefan.horocho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release InstallApacheFlex 1.0 - RC7
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:51:49 GMT
Hello everybody,

The installer works, as I spent the walkthrough in JIRA and in my last
email, that information may be contained on the page to access the
Installer.

I upgraded my vote to -1 because I have found a bug. I shared the same
opinion of Christophe Herreman, it´s my opinion too. Where he said:

"I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just worried that this will lead to
frustration and a feeling of low quality coming from Apache Flex to the
users."

But I also agree with you that we need this release which is being awaited
for so long, and for sure will help many people to have the new Apache Flex
SDK.

Erik and Om

I opened a ticket [1] in JIRA with the comparison of the translations of
languages available today, and put them separate group with all the
messages. I would suggest this as the default for new messages, to make it
easier to find what should be done the translation, because when you add a
new key, you can already tag them in an area of translation for each
language. The work of comparing one by one consuming too much time.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33224

Regards

Stefan Horochovec


2012/10/19 Christophe Herreman <christophe.herreman@gmail.com>

> OK all, thanks for the feedback. I agree that we need to release often and
> early, although in certain cases it doesn't feel quite right.
>
> Since there are no blocking issues, a release is justified I guess.
>
> +1 (binding)
>
> regards,
> Christophe
>
> 2012/10/19 Om <bigosmallm@gmail.com>
>
> > This issue will be fixed in the next release.
> >
> > I know and agree that this is not perfect, but we cannot delay a release
> > till we get everything perfect.  We will never release anything if we
> wait
> > to fix every issue that we discover.
> >
> > This is not a release blocker issue, nor does it have security
> > implications.  We cannot delay the release any longer especially after so
> > many people have voted for the release.
> >
> > The patch has been contributed and it will be committed asap.  We will be
> > making a follow up release soon.  Also, we are shipping with an auto
> update
> > mechanism that will ensure that folks get the subsequent releases for
> sure.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Om
> > On Oct 19, 2012 1:57 AM, "Christophe Herreman" <
> > christophe.herreman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry about this, but why would you release the installer in it's
> current
> > > state? I know there is a lot of "pressure" and excitement to get this
> > > released, but there are currently clearly some bigger issues with the
> > > proposed RC in terms of translations.
> > >
> > > IMO it's better to delay the release until the most serious issues are
> > > fixed than to release now, knowing that it will cause problems for
> > (perhaps
> > > a minor part of ) the users.
> > >
> > > I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just worried that this will lead to
> > > frustration and a feeling of low quality coming from Apache Flex to the
> > > users.
> > >
> > > kind regards,
> > > Christophe
> > >
> > > 2012/10/19 Carlos Rovira <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com>
> > >
> > > > Yes...please, release....
> > > >
> > > > 2012/10/19 Omar Gonzalez <omarg.developer@gmail.com>:
> > > > > Release, release, release!!!
> > > > >
> > > > > -omar
> > > > >
> > > > > On Thursday, October 18, 2012, Erik de Bruin wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >> Stefan,
> > > > >>
> > > > >> I understand the problem, and I see the implications. That's
why I
> > > > >> push for a quick "point" update AFTER this release, to adress
this
> > and
> > > > >> other known issues. In fact, I'll enter your fix into the source
> > this
> > > > >> weekend, if it checks out.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> However, I sense that after 7 (!) release candidates, a kind
of
> > 'vote
> > > > >> fatigue' is setting in. By this I mean that if we do another
RC, I
> > > > >> think we might not get enough votes just because people will
not
> > > > >> bother to enter theirs again (and again, and again).
> > > > >>
> > > > >> I therefor recommend that we use the votes we now have to do
a
> > > release.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> EdB
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > > >> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Stefan Horochovec
> > > > >> <stefan.horochovec@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > >> > Erik
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > It's possible to run the installer in operating systems
that
> have
> > > > >> language
> > > > >> > available on Installer and that is different from en_US,
> however,
> > > > have to
> > > > >> > be done the process of changing the language of the installer
> for
> > > > en_US.
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > If you try to install and don't change the language to en_US,
> the
> > > > >> > installation dont work.
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > Log of installation (sorry, in portuguese):
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > Buscado o espelho da URL de download do SDK a partir do
CGI.
> > > > >> > Criando diretório do Apache Flex
> > > > >> > Criando diretório temporário
> > > > >> > Não foi possível criar o diretório temporário
> > > > >> > Instalação abortada
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > And here you can see the steps:
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > 1 -
> > > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12549807/step1.png
> > > > >> > 2 -
> > > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12549808/step2.png
> > > > >> > 3 -
> > > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12549809/step3.png
> > > > >> > 4 -
> > > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12549810/step4.png
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > In my opinion, this is a very critical problem, a time may
come
> > that
> > > > >> affect
> > > > >> > a large number of people.
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > Stefan Horochovec
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> > 2012/10/19 Erik de Bruin <erik@ixsoftware.nl>
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> >> Stefan,
> > > > >> >>
> > > > >> >> Thank you for your contribution! As we discussed, I'll
look
> into
> > > your
> > > > >> >> patches as soon as I can, and I'm sure they will prove
valid
> and
> > > > >> >> useful.
> > > > >> >>
> > > > >> >> Would you agree that if we do an update soon, lack of
true
> > > > >> >> internationalisation shouldn't be a deal breaker for
this first
> > > > >> >> release?
> > > > >> >>
> > > > >> >> EdB
> > > > >> >>
> > > > >> >>
> > > > >> >>
> > > > >> >> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Stefan Horochovec
> > > > >> >> <stefan.horochovec@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > >> >> > -1
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> > My first test was done in an environment in English,
but
> when I
> > > > >> changed
> > > > >> >> my
> > > > >> >> > OS to my local language (Portuguese), to test the
> translations,
> > > the
> > > > >> >> result
> > > > >> >> > was not good.
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> > In step where are defined which license will be
accepted,
> just
> > no
> > > > >> option
> > > > >> >> on
> > > > >> >> > the left appears only when the switch is made the
selected
> > > > language.
> > > > >> Ex:
> > > > >> >> > change to english, and then go back to my default
language.
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> > I submitted the bug in JIRA, and also submitted
a patch
> (which
> > if
> > > > >> >> accepted)
> > > > >> >> > causes the installer to load the translation of
default
> > language
> > > of
> > > > >> the
> > > > >> >> > installer and then load the installation user's
language, so
> > when
> > > > >> getting
> > > > >> >> > some text missing will interface with all texts,
some not
> > > > translated.
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> > This whole environment is only valid when the Installer
is
> > > launched
> > > > >> on an
> > > > >> >> > operating system that contains a translation and
the same is
> > > > detected
> > > > >> by
> > > > >> >> > the installer before being read keys for translation
into
> > > English.
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33223
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> > Stefan Horochovec
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> > 2012/10/18 Om <bigosmallm@gmail.com>
> > > > >> >> >
> > > > >> >> >> Sounds good.
> > > > >> >> >>
> > > > >> >> >> I will wait one more day for Dave Fisher to
vote here.
>  After
> > > > that I
> > > > >> >> will
> > > > >> >> >> post the vote thread on general.
> > > > >> >> >>
> > > > >> >> >> Thanks,
> > > > >> >> >> Om
> > > > >> >> >>
> > > > >> >> >> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Carol Frampton
<
> > > > cframpto@adobe.com
> > > > >> >
> > > > >> >> >> wrote:
> > > > >> >> >>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Carlos Rovira
> > > > Director de Tecnología
> > > > M: +34 607 22 60 05
> > > > F:  +34 912 35 57 77
> > > > http://www.codeoscopic.com
> > > > http://www.directwriter.es
> > > > http://www.avant2.es
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Christophe Herreman
> > > http://www.herrodius.com
> > > http://www.springactionscript.org
> > > http://www.as3commons.org
> > >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Christophe Herreman
> http://www.herrodius.com
> http://www.springactionscript.org
> http://www.as3commons.org
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message