incubator-flex-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release InstallApacheFlex 1.0 - RC7
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:09:33 GMT
This issue will be fixed in the next release.

I know and agree that this is not perfect, but we cannot delay a release
till we get everything perfect.  We will never release anything if we wait
to fix every issue that we discover.

This is not a release blocker issue, nor does it have security
implications.  We cannot delay the release any longer especially after so
many people have voted for the release.

The patch has been contributed and it will be committed asap.  We will be
making a follow up release soon.  Also, we are shipping with an auto update
mechanism that will ensure that folks get the subsequent releases for sure.

Thanks,
Om
On Oct 19, 2012 1:57 AM, "Christophe Herreman" <
christophe.herreman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry about this, but why would you release the installer in it's current
> state? I know there is a lot of "pressure" and excitement to get this
> released, but there are currently clearly some bigger issues with the
> proposed RC in terms of translations.
>
> IMO it's better to delay the release until the most serious issues are
> fixed than to release now, knowing that it will cause problems for (perhaps
> a minor part of ) the users.
>
> I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just worried that this will lead to
> frustration and a feeling of low quality coming from Apache Flex to the
> users.
>
> kind regards,
> Christophe
>
> 2012/10/19 Carlos Rovira <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com>
>
> > Yes...please, release....
> >
> > 2012/10/19 Omar Gonzalez <omarg.developer@gmail.com>:
> > > Release, release, release!!!
> > >
> > > -omar
> > >
> > > On Thursday, October 18, 2012, Erik de Bruin wrote:
> > >
> > >> Stefan,
> > >>
> > >> I understand the problem, and I see the implications. That's why I
> > >> push for a quick "point" update AFTER this release, to adress this and
> > >> other known issues. In fact, I'll enter your fix into the source this
> > >> weekend, if it checks out.
> > >>
> > >> However, I sense that after 7 (!) release candidates, a kind of 'vote
> > >> fatigue' is setting in. By this I mean that if we do another RC, I
> > >> think we might not get enough votes just because people will not
> > >> bother to enter theirs again (and again, and again).
> > >>
> > >> I therefor recommend that we use the votes we now have to do a
> release.
> > >>
> > >> EdB
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Stefan Horochovec
> > >> <stefan.horochovec@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >> > Erik
> > >> >
> > >> > It's possible to run the installer in operating systems that have
> > >> language
> > >> > available on Installer and that is different from en_US, however,
> > have to
> > >> > be done the process of changing the language of the installer for
> > en_US.
> > >> >
> > >> > If you try to install and don't change the language to en_US, the
> > >> > installation dont work.
> > >> >
> > >> > Log of installation (sorry, in portuguese):
> > >> >
> > >> > Buscado o espelho da URL de download do SDK a partir do CGI.
> > >> > Criando diretório do Apache Flex
> > >> > Criando diretório temporário
> > >> > Não foi possível criar o diretório temporário
> > >> > Instalação abortada
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > And here you can see the steps:
> > >> >
> > >> > 1 -
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12549807/step1.png
> > >> > 2 -
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12549808/step2.png
> > >> > 3 -
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12549809/step3.png
> > >> > 4 -
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12549810/step4.png
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > In my opinion, this is a very critical problem, a time may come that
> > >> affect
> > >> > a large number of people.
> > >> >
> > >> > Stefan Horochovec
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > 2012/10/19 Erik de Bruin <erik@ixsoftware.nl>
> > >> >
> > >> >> Stefan,
> > >> >>
> > >> >> Thank you for your contribution! As we discussed, I'll look into
> your
> > >> >> patches as soon as I can, and I'm sure they will prove valid and
> > >> >> useful.
> > >> >>
> > >> >> Would you agree that if we do an update soon, lack of true
> > >> >> internationalisation shouldn't be a deal breaker for this first
> > >> >> release?
> > >> >>
> > >> >> EdB
> > >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >> >> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Stefan Horochovec
> > >> >> <stefan.horochovec@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >> >> > -1
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > My first test was done in an environment in English, but
when I
> > >> changed
> > >> >> my
> > >> >> > OS to my local language (Portuguese), to test the translations,
> the
> > >> >> result
> > >> >> > was not good.
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > In step where are defined which license will be accepted,
just no
> > >> option
> > >> >> on
> > >> >> > the left appears only when the switch is made the selected
> > language.
> > >> Ex:
> > >> >> > change to english, and then go back to my default language.
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > I submitted the bug in JIRA, and also submitted a patch (which
if
> > >> >> accepted)
> > >> >> > causes the installer to load the translation of default language
> of
> > >> the
> > >> >> > installer and then load the installation user's language,
so when
> > >> getting
> > >> >> > some text missing will interface with all texts, some not
> > translated.
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > This whole environment is only valid when the Installer is
> launched
> > >> on an
> > >> >> > operating system that contains a translation and the same
is
> > detected
> > >> by
> > >> >> > the installer before being read keys for translation into
> English.
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33223
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > Stefan Horochovec
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > 2012/10/18 Om <bigosmallm@gmail.com>
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> >> Sounds good.
> > >> >> >>
> > >> >> >> I will wait one more day for Dave Fisher to vote here.
 After
> > that I
> > >> >> will
> > >> >> >> post the vote thread on general.
> > >> >> >>
> > >> >> >> Thanks,
> > >> >> >> Om
> > >> >> >>
> > >> >> >> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Carol Frampton <
> > cframpto@adobe.com
> > >> >
> > >> >> >> wrote:
> > >> >> >>
> > >>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Carlos Rovira
> > Director de Tecnología
> > M: +34 607 22 60 05
> > F:  +34 912 35 57 77
> > http://www.codeoscopic.com
> > http://www.directwriter.es
> > http://www.avant2.es
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Christophe Herreman
> http://www.herrodius.com
> http://www.springactionscript.org
> http://www.as3commons.org
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message