From Stakesoft <m...@stakesoft.com>
Subject RE: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 16:32:19 GMT
Technical issues aside I suspect there a good few of us that rely on design views (and we are
not all noobs). Many are supporting not having a DV as they don't use it and that's fine for
them but a bit of a disaster for others. There are IDE's with DV's and those without - the
best in my mind all have a DV.

If Adobe are not taking care of the SDK or the DV it leaves much less advantage over other
free software.

Non DV developers at Adobe please try and understand how important a DV is to the many who
use it. I wish 4.7 onwards all the best but it will just about unusable for me.

Nigel

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: 02 October 2012 17:12
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools

On 10/2/12 8:55 AM, "Sebastian Mohr" <masuland@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Adobe ... what's wrong with continuing building GUI
> designer tools for Apache Flex? Is that really something
> that is not worth investing into? You already created those
> tools. So, why not sharing some of your expertise with the
> community, and, not locking your code in the archives of
> Adobe history?

This has been discussed before.  Design View is highly dependent on a Flex
SDK version.  It is not practical for Adobe to maintain DV in FB now that
SDKs are coming from Apache.

I think the DV code is flawed for that reason and some others.  It is
probably better to simply start over.  AFAIK, it is "just" an Eclipse
plug-in.

If figuring out some aspect of the plug-in turns out to be difficult, I can
try to see if there are some pieces we could donate, but the assessment from
the owners of the code is that there isn't much that is re-usable.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team