From "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: AW: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App)
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:21:29 GMT
Well isn't it usually that way around?

I create some general UI scetches using some tools like blamiq mockups and deal with negoitating
the functionallity with my customers. As soon as the component works as desired I go "pimp
my app" and give it to a designer to have it pimped.

Using Catalyst this was really easy (As soon as you had a desiger at hand that was used to
it and it's concepts). I was even able to let the designer skin a running application deployed
by me somewhere on the web, so I didn't have give away the code of the application itself
or setup the environment at the designers office. This workflow was the major breakthrough
for me and was one of the major things that made me shift allmost entirely to the Flex road.

It's a real pitty to have it dropped and wasted :-(

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2012 18:18
An: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Re: AW: Financing the Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Design View AIR App)

On 10/3/12 7:38 AM, "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>
wrote:

> Oh ... let me thow in a little more weight for the Catalyst ;-)
>
> I invested quite some time in setting up a project structure that
> allowed me to concentrate on developing (Using an ugly but functional
> developer Skin) and having professional Designers use Catalyst to Skin the application.
> Unfortunately it seemed that the designers available on the market
> were all even less "finished" than the Catalyst project, but as soon
> as the designers got the hang of it, the results were pretty
> sattisfying and I had what I was allways dreaming about: Being able to
> concentrate on the functionality and have a designer do all the stuff
> that sells the application (cool buttons, even greater effects and
> animated transitions, ...) :-)
>
> I would be really happy if Adobe didn't entirely drop this tool, and
> if they did, If they would somehow open-source it.

It is essentially "dropped".  See [1].   There are no plans to opensource
it.  It too had a lot of "baggage" that made it difficult to implement.  For example, it really
wasn't extensible as to what components it could handle.

The principle behind it (that you can take designer art and break it down into components)
is compelling, but I question whether it remains valid in a world of dynamic UI.

It is also interesting to note that you used it in completely different way than it was intended.
 It was for a design-first-then-develop workflow and you did it the other way (which is what
I do when I have a choice as well).

[1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/whitepapers/roadmap.html
--
Alex Harui