From Sebastian Mohr <masul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 15:55:57 GMT
@Peter Ent ... the missing piece is: Who is working on
such a design tool right now? There are Apache Flex
designers and developers on this mailing list that see
the need to have those tools.

> You know, if I was actually making some type of money from Flex right now I would consider
this project [...]

As Michael Schmalle correctly pointed out: There are
probably people on this list that are capable of building
those GUI designer tools, but, most probably they won't
have the time and money to work on that.

@Adobe ... what's wrong with continuing building GUI
designer tools for Apache Flex? Is that really something
that is not worth investing into? You already created those
tools. So, why not sharing some of your expertise with the
community, and, not locking your code in the archives of
Adobe history?

I also doubt, that building such Apache Flex GUI designer
tools would be hardly manageable by a single person alone.
Maybe Adobe could consider to open up some of their GUI
designer tool code on Github and collaborate with the
Apache Flex community, just like they are doing right
now with Adobe Brackets [1] !?

Sincerely Yours,

Sebastian Mohr
Apache Flex Developer (PPMC),
Interaction Designer & Musician
http://www.linkedin.com/in/masuland

[1] https://github.com/adobe/brackets

On Oct 2, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Michael Schmalle wrote:

> I was going to say the exact same thing.
>
> I think why people have not said this is because a lot of developers are used to a design
view being located "inside" their IDE as with Design View.

> This is definitely not that hard to do, back in the Flex 2 days I experimented in creating
such tools in Flex.

> Thinking about it, I guess FlashCatalyst "wasn't" in and IDE perse so, the paradigm of
an external editor has been around.

> Seeing as Google's Android design view is decent in Eclipse, I don't see why something
couldn't be started in an IDE either.

> The trick is starting with something SMALL and prototype, get the idea to work and slowly
build on. You know, if I was actually making some type of money from Flex right now I would
consider this project but, my spare time will be devoted to the compiler and extensions of.

> Now if we get some revolution going with AS -> JS compiling that is not using the
Flash API, then it's time to really start thinking about a design inspector. ;-)