From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ASC 2.0 and Falcon
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 13:27:28 GMT
I did not even know that AS2 worked on AIR mobile :)
What i was afraid of, was that AIR mobile had a different backward
compatibility strategy than flash player on desktop has.
If not thats great news, and this ASNext, VMNext thing is not a survival
subject for flex, so thats great.

FYI, about AS2 on AIR Mobile i found this interresting statement from
mike chambers:
"AIR apis are not exposed to AS2, but, you can run AS2 content by
specifying the SWF in the application descriptor file and creating the
AIR file with ADT (in the AIR SDK)."

To complete Om's answer quoting Adobe's statements, i can also quote
this one:
from http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

"Compatibility

The next version of ActionScript will be an evolution of ActionScript 3,
but in some instances may not be completely compatible with ActionScript
3. We expect that any migration from ActionScript 3 will be
significantly less burdensome than the move from ActionScript 2 to
ActionScript 3.

Regardless, we are exploring options for tooling that would either ease
or automate this transition.

Current ActionScript 3 content will continue to run in the Flash
runtimes, although it may not run in the same virtual machine as the
latest iteration of ActionScript. This is a similar model for how
ActionScript 2--based content runs in Flash Player today."

There's two things i found interresting and reassuring here:
- AS3 content will continue to run in the flash runtimeS (meaning new
AIR mobile versions right? ;)).
- tooling to ease transition from AS3 to AS4.