From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: To AS4 or not
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:07:31 GMT
"It's not a stupid idea, but it is probably less work to just manually
port the framework to AS4. "
Thanks, so lets forget this solution.

"It is certainly possible. Whether it is realistic, given the lack of
people volunteering to work on the compiler, is questionable in my mind."
I think that the community needs a clear objective, and clear
understanding of what the value for flex future will be, before people
volonteer.

Le 20/10/2012 23:01, Gordon Smith a écrit :
>> Is it a stupide idea to use Falcon to transcode from AS3 to AS4 and then compile
AS4 with adobes compiler? (if we emulate or drop the native features that disappeared) Is
it realistic or a large amount of work to do?
> It's not a stupid idea, but it is probably less work  to just manually port the framework
to AS4.

>> Is it realistic to use falcon to transcode flex codebase from AS3 to any other language,
and be able to use this generated code as the new codebase for Apache flex?
> again, features like Events, or Display aside.
>
> It is certainly possible. Whether it is realistic, given the lack of people volunteering
to work on the compiler, is questionable in my mind.

> - Gordon

DisplayObject or Event"
> Such  features can be emulated in short term before rewriting the framework without them.
> But rewrite the whole codebase because of synax changes is much more work to get done.
>
> Is it a stupide idea to use Falcon to transcode from AS3 to AS4 and then compile AS4
with adobes compiler? (if we emulate or drop the native features that disappeared) Is it realistic
or a large amount of work to do?

> I know its not good practice to try to code in AS3 for an AS4 vm with different patterns,
but it can be a short term solution if we need to target the new runtime rapidly.
> If flex is multi target though, we won't be able to get a generic language that can fit
to every target patterns we want.
> And with pragmatism in mind, flex is AS3 today, so we have to deal with
> AS3 for quite a time.
>
> Gordon, another question that may be stupid.
> Is it realistic to use falcon to transcode flex codebase from AS3 to any other language,
and be able to use this generated code as the new codebase for Apache flex?
> again, features like Events, or Display aside.
>
> Thanks
> Regards,
>

> Le 20/10/2012 00:11, Gordon Smith a écrit :
>>> So the only way to make flex run on the new VM is to rewrite the SDK code, and
with no easy way to do so?
>> Yes, I think so, but you'd have to rewrite it even if the new VM ran AS3 because
the new VM doesn't have DisplayObject or Event!

>>> Do you know if the next AIR runtime will only work for AS4?
>> Sorry, I don't know the plans for AIR.
>>
>> - Gordon

to adapt Falcon to target the new VM?
development of an AS4 compiler. But it's been many developer-years of work for us and it isn't
trivial. ActionScript is more complex than MXML.