From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starling + Flex
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 10:54:54 GMT
Thanks a lot Alex for sharing this,
thats such a discussion im looking for in the ML :)
i hope many commiters will join in

* "performance penalties on the new target"
its obvious, and you always have to choose between performances and ease
of deployment

* "granularity and extensibility ... two things are what folks want to try to do to the current
framework, but it is a big mess to untangle."
What is the state of this discussion among commiters today? If i understand well, there is
no consensus yet, and some are still trying to find a way to make it possible?

* "But to me, right now, it is the ability to take some MXML tags, add some AS3 code and create
an app."
So you would still keep AS3? starting over, can be the perfect time to question the viability
of such a choice?
Regarding the essence of flex, i would add that its also a great set of high level components.

* "backward compatibility, I think you have to give up on 100%"
I know but theres room between 100% compatibility and complete rewrite with new language and
new API.
The only thinkg i want is to get the multi target effort, the more productive as possible.

* "get some bare-bones Flex-like framework up and running short-term, and grow it long-term.
 If we get enough community involvement, it may gain most of the things you miss from the
existing framework."
I don't personnaly think that its a short term need either. if there is a transition plan
with current Flex SDK for short term, and new SDk for long term, which will get as close to
current flex as possible in term of needed features, its great plan for me either.
I was not worrying about short term for current flex until this new VM thing. I thought that
flex could still use the Adobe's runtime for new device surfing on their Gaming shift, and
with it, having the time to prepare the future even if it means to start from scratch.
If following Adobe's runtime for short term means to rewrite to AS4, its not an option. If
it means to render on starling, it seems still realistic if i understand well.

* "a new Flex framework that has most of what the current Flex framework has"
If its realistic plan thats fine for me. Regarding the amount of work put in Adobe's flex,
we will have to be quite creative to get the same features with less coding effort.
One of the drawback to start from scratch is that you will probably losse all the surrounding
efforts like third party components and libs, or all the documentation and help forum threads.
and that is an issue if you keep the same name for a very different API.

* "not go all-in on the new framework"
I understand, my question was a bit stupid.
I just want that there is deep discussion about this subject, and that we see the feedback
in ML.

* "Hopefully, we don't need to get that close to what Flex currently has in
order to be succesful."
I agree, thats more a matter of transition, like i said previously.

* "I'm not sure what your definition of "efficient" is.  If it is developer
productivity, then you certainly have a point.  I think the main draw of
Flex is that you can crank out an app pretty easily"
Thats exactly what  meant :)

Thanks