From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: To AS4 or not
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:35:24 GMT
Thanks Gordon for you answers,

"but you'd have to rewrite it even if the new VM ran AS3 because the new
VM doesn't have DisplayObject or Event"
Such  features can be emulated in short term before rewriting the
framework without them.
But rewrite the whole codebase because of synax changes is much more
work to get done.

Is it a stupide idea to use Falcon to transcode from AS3 to AS4 and then
compile AS4 with adobes compiler? (if we emulate or drop the native
features that disappeared)
Is it realistic or a large amount of work to do?

I know its not good practice to try to code in AS3 for an AS4 vm with
different patterns, but it can be a short term solution if we need to
target the new runtime rapidly.
If flex is multi target though, we won't be able to get a generic
language that can fit to every target patterns we want.
And with pragmatism in mind, flex is AS3 today, so we have to deal with
AS3 for quite a time.

Gordon, another question that may be stupid.
Is it realistic to use falcon to transcode flex codebase from AS3 to any
other language, and be able to use this generated code as the new
codebase for Apache flex?
again, features like Events, or Display aside.

Thanks
Regards,

Le 20/10/2012 00:11, Gordon Smith a écrit :
>> So the only way to make flex run on the new VM is to rewrite the SDK code, and with
no easy way to do so?
> Yes, I think so, but you'd have to rewrite it even if the new VM ran AS3 because the
new VM doesn't have DisplayObject or Event!

>> Do you know if the next AIR runtime will only work for AS4?
> Sorry, I don't know the plans for AIR.
>
> - Gordon

to adapt Falcon to target the new VM?
>>> Yes, it would be possible. Falcon/ASC 2.0 was the starting point for Adobe's
development of an AS4 compiler. But it's been many developer-years of work for us and it isn't
trivial. ActionScript is more complex than MXML.