From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: Is Apache model killing this project?
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:22:05 GMT
I'm not going to rant, see my last two messages.

Being a comitter here is my "location". I have no interest in what
Flex was or is right now, I think its dead and unfortunate that so
many large companies are still tied to the current code base and
seeing nothing move forward with the project.

When I first got into this project I was looking at what it could
become, how it could be reinvented by the many developers that used it.

What I see now, the wagon loaded up onto JS/HTML5 and took most that
might have had any innovative interests.

I have so many years invested into ActionScript that I have tried
everything to keep my interest in something that could look like a
phoenix rising from the ashes. It feels like the horse is dead and the
momentum gone. In poetic words, you could see the high-water mark
where it all looked hopeful.

Flash Gaming is the last horizon for Adobe and Flash, so they pulled
out, put all there money there and are just trying to brush the last
bit of Flex off them.

It's nice of them to give us a 3/4 implemented compiler, very
thoughtful but the fact is, I see no interest from the ghost town of
Apache Flex that would give me any confidence of putting my time into
furthering a compiler that seems like it's going to just end up a
relic of time.

Do you people know how much man power it will take to get this
compiler going past the point of what Gordon could contribute? ... You
don't want the answer.

MXML doesn't even work right now...

This project desperately needs some tie with the future technology or
I can't bear just seeing it rot like this.

Carlos, I don't think the Apache model is to blame, I think it's the
project to blame, we have no real contributors that are active!

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com