From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: ASC 2.0 and Falcon
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:36:20 GMT
Also note;

I forgot to mention, I have no real investment in Flex anymore (which
is good) but I really love what the project could become.

I have already implemented a pretty complex program with the new compiler.

There are NO TESTS! for the compiler right now. This means even if I
wanted to fix problems that Adobe has in their compiler, I can't
because there is no test framework setup for the Apache compiler.

I am one of the developers that could put a lot of work into the
compiler but, when there is no support around me I feel supporting
things like Josh's feathers framework or just doing my Android dev is
better use of my time right now.

Gordon mentioned he was getting tests setup for the framework, I have
been waiting, I'm not doing anything until there is at least a
consensus between members of this project on how to do that. But wait,
there are no members of the project that are even involved with the
compiler right now that I am aware of?

Anybody out there... ?

PS Obviously Gordon is respected by me and I don't expect an Adobe
employee to do everything.

This list is like a ghost town.

Mike

Quoting Michael Schmalle <mike@teotigraphix.com>:

> This is interesting,
>
> Gordon replied that sometime he might be bringing some of the
> changes back to the Falcon compiler in an email a couple days ago
> but Thibault now says no plans, hmm.
>
> I had a look at the things that have been fixed in the change log of
> ASC 2, there is no way I am going to spend my time trying to
> duplicate the amount of bugs that have been fixed by Adobe on their
> compiler.
>
> It's great that Aodbe forked us a compiler, but then again what is
> the use other than some free code and no "opensource" contribution.
>
> My tone may sound a bit well, I don't really know but I coming from
> the fact that I have not seen hardly ANY interest in others on this
> dev list or around the "social" circles to have anything to do with
> the compiler. If there were developers in this project that knew how
> to push the gifted compiler code forward other than Gordon that is
> an employee of Adobe, I would have a lot more encouragement here.
>
> I don't think people understand that this new compiler framework is
> the life or death of this project and if it doesn't get supported,
> Apache Flex is a still born after 4.x in my opinion.
>
> Mike
>

> Quoting Jesus Barquin <yukatan@gmail.com>:
>
>> So... is there anybody at apache flex that can follow the flash runtime
>> evolution??? I mean improving future apache flex compiler, because the
>> runtime seems to be every day more and more far away from the apache flex
>> way and I feel a little bit scared.
>>
>> 2012/10/18 Thibault Imbert <timbert@adobe.com>
>>
>>> Hi Clint,
>>>
>>> No, we have no plans.
>>>
>>> Thibault Imbert | sr. product manager gaming (Graphics, Language, VM,
>>> Compiler) | Monocle | adobe systems
>>> gaming.adobe.com <http://gaming.adobe.com/> | bytearray.org
>>> <http://bytearray.org/> | @thibault_imbert

Falcon