From Michael Schmalle <>
Subject Re: Design View AIR App (Was: Re: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools)
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:04:33 GMT
Quoting Roland Zwaga <>:

>> > I would put time investigating this if I knew where to start looking.
>> > Or if Adobe could give some pointers, what ever they figured it out so
>> > we should be able to as well.
>> >
>> I didn't think it was AIR in FB DV.  There is a special "authoring" player
>> that Flash Pro uses that I thought was being used in FB.  It has special
>> APIs.  Apache Flex wouldn't be able to use it.  The main question is
>> whether
>> a plugin can open a portal to "something else".  I would think someone has
>> solved a plugin opening a browser window by now
> Hey guys,
> are you aware of the SWFBridge in the FDT IDE?
> They basically allow you to write plugins for FDT in Actionscript, maybe we
> can get
> some inspiration from these guys ;)
> cheers,
> Roland

Ok, I looked at this code, it looks like they use a socket bridge from
Eclipse to the browser to send actions/commands/messages.

The developer has created an AST API in ActionScript that looks like
it decorates metadata XML. I'm not sure if it's metadata or actually
AST XML sent over the socket bridge from Eclipse's AST model.

Anyway, this idea is golden for writing wrappers from each IDE. From
the looks of it we might actually be able to use that SWFBridge for a
viewer. I don't know this is after looking at the GIT code for about 5

For those interested, I think it would be worth while to abstract this
project into 2 code sections, one that is not dependent on AIR APIs
and the actually designer just use Flash APIs no AIR.

This way if you needed different types of functionality, you still
could use a browser without loosing the design capability.

Honestly folks, I could see how a simple socket bridge could be used
in DND operations also. The DNBD is initiated in say Eclipse, the dnd
info is pushed to the designer over the socket, when the mouse then
enters the SWF it already knows what it is dragging.

The only problem is I am very rusty and don't know if the Flash Player
would get an event of some type when the mouse enters the browser with
the mouse already down.

This sounds even more doable looking at the code. Essentially the
designer app is purly in ActionScript so there is no IDE wars
happening there.

We could set it up also down the road where the default, the
properties editors existed IN THE APP and if an IDE so choose, could
turn them off and then the properties panel would actually be
implemented in the IDE natively using the DND API we make.

Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC

View raw message