From teoti...@teotigraphix.com
Subject Re: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:20:30 GMT
Quoting Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>:

> You are welcome to open a JIRA ticket for Apache Flex and try to see if you
> can define requirements in priority order.  Remember that this is a
> volunteer organization so you can't just say "replicate DV".  What are the
> most important aspects of DV?  Is one of them IDE integration?  If so, why?
> An AIR DV could certainly launch an ant script to build your changes.

Just reiterating on something I said in a previous post to this; If a
project could start, start small with a prototype only doing the
basic. Then slowly add functionality. This would be very important for
an endeavor like a DesignView.

I have written Eclipse plugins before, I have no idea how to write an
IDEA plugin, I looked and saw I would have to learn a very different
framework.

With the new compiler and it's AST and definitions, it would make
something like this a whole lot easier, and I'm speaking from 2 weeks
experience with the code.

I want to mention one more thing here. Acting as a developer of
something like a design view, there is a huge overwhelming fear that
it could lose interest and get abandoned purely out of volunteers
moving, or working on other things. Loosing traction on a project like
this when you spent time developing it and know you could have been
doing something else is always in developers minds.

So add the risk factor as well. For years I have heard Flex developers
say they use it all the time to others saying it was a waste of time
and time should have been spent on the more important features.

Mike

PS On the plus side with an AIR implementation, being written with
Flex would be a boost to the whole project because you would be using
the framework components and creating new ones purely out of the need
for the new functionality. It could almost act as a live garden of
growth for the framework.