From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: Apache Flex roadmap page in the wiki [was: I was tired of waiting.]
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 10:09:58 GMT
Just chiming into this dead horse.

The problem with projects that get donated to Apache from an
established Enterprise is what has previously happened in this
project, warped perspectives.

Roadmaps in the English language say "there are roads to travel". In
Apache, we say "roads, who needs roads where we are going there are no
roads...". Oh I know that was cheesy and I'm not that geekey but the
sentiment is true.

I look at my experience, I have developed Flex components for about 8
years. Hum, my road map in life says, keep developing Flex components.
But the great thing about this project is I can do whatever I want to
do and right now I am working with the new Falcon compiler.

In the enterprise world, smart educated university graduates would
look at me and say, he is wasting time, killing the project since he
is not giving us the "Missing Flex components", that is priority over
a compiler that doesn't even parse MXML correctly yet!

I left this project for 8 months thinking my days of Flex was over.
Mysteriously life brought me back right when the compiler was donated.
You see, opensource at Apache has to do with innovation and
experimentation with no rules.

In the spirit of honesty, sometimes I look at all the component bugs
and requests and say to myself, you know I could do a lot here. I have
a lot of experience to move this forward. But the renegade in me says,
I'm working on the compiler because it brings joy to me. This is why
Apache does not use roadmaps, they know taking away developers joy in
project means certain death and a ghost town soon to follow.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com