From Yvon Sauvageau <ysma...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Design Tool Proposal: Thermo MK2 for Apache Flex
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2012 19:08:37 GMT
It seems you view yourself as an interaction designer, so I can see
where you're coming from. As a developer (coder), I find these design
views to be a flawed concept the minute I exit the realm of trivial
applications. Why? Because in serious applications most of the
displayed objects are generated dynamically. There's no way a design
view can predict what and where they will be displayed. Imagine for
an instant that everything is localized (internationalized) in your
application. Well, then everything is generated on the fly from the
contents of some text files. I can tell you that in the latest
application I worked on, the design view was so confused that it
generated a total mess, and only the background graphics was
recognizable.

Of course, I need to present mock ups before coding. I simply use
Balsamiq Mockup. It's good enough to communicate the general ideas.

What do I use to polish the look? Well, too bad, nowadays I really
have to use the design view. But it generates a mess in the presence
of a full fledge application. So what I do is I create small
independent FB projects wherein I replicate small parts of the
application and hardcode everything in them. And I use design view to
tweak this stuff. I say that it's what I'm doing 'nowadays', but in
the olden days we had something much better. It was called
Flex3StyleExplorer http://examples.adobe.com/flex3/consulting/
styleexplorer/Flex3StyleExplorer.html#. If you could replicate
something like that, I would be very thankful to you. I suppose
nowadays it should be called FlexSkinExplorer.

Yvon