From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: ASC 2.0 and Falcon
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 22:46:44 GMT
These are all good points, Mike.

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael A. Labriola [mailto:labriola@digitalprimates.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:38 PM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: ASC 2.0 and Falcon

>Just a heads up, given the architecture changes of the next-gen runtime, Flex will not
be able to run in it. I would "highly" recommend you guys having a look at Feathers (work
from Josh >Tynjala - feathersui.com) on top of Starling, which will run beautifully in
our next runtime.

Before this goes much farther, please keep in mind that Flex will run in the current AVM,
that isn't changing.

It won't run in the new AVM, which is primarily for gaming. While I am sure the new VM is
just the best thing, anywhere, ever, I am a little worried that it won't immediately (or ever)
support all of the features relevant to Flex applications (which usually aren't games). As
an example, the internationalization APIs in the Flash VM were never finished, I can't imagine
their port and expansion is a high priority.

This is Apache and everyone is free to spend their cycles where they see fit. To me though,
I wouldn't "highly" recommend trying to reach this new future-target. If Adobe plans on honoring
their promises, Flash Player will continue to run Flex apps for at least the next 4 years.
If the new VM is so universally lauded, that it becomes the choice for large-scale applications
within companies using Flex world-wide, then I will re-evaluate.

In the meantime, if we are talking about porting or rewriting Flex, I have a few other places
that seem more relevant today.

My $1.50,
Mike