From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Flex cross compilation for new environments
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:27:26 GMT
Hi,

I have been waiting for a thread like this since the compiler code was
released. I've spent the last 3 days completely digesting as much of
the compiler framework as I can. What I see has a very significant
impact on the future of ActionScript and Apache Flex in my opinion.

 From a framework devs perspective, we have been given all the tools
to do what we need to do to get away from the FlashPlayer.

Some of you may remember me from Dec-Jan when I was as active as you
can be in this project and it's beginning. That all changed when I
realized I to was on a ship ready to sink during the next storm and
that was Flex and the FlashPlayer. I spent the last 8 months
reorganizing my business and working on Android audio things that
actually keeps the family fed.

What's the point Mike? I have been with the ActionScript language
since 2001 and Flash 5, I have written in a lot of different languages
and for some reason ActionScript is "very easy" to get the ideas out
and down (I keep coming back to it for fun).

So I come back and see what's happening here, oh Gordon joins for some
part time work and the Falcon code is donated. Ok, this is it, when I
was preaching the word of Apache Flex almost a year ago, this is what
I was talking about, a new future for ActionScript and Flex, a new use
case.

Since I have totally abandoned the Flash Player from a dependent
business perspective, I love the fact I can come back and work on
things that are NOT related to the FlashPlayer.

The opensource spirit at Apache is about invention, experiments and
cooperation. I am very willing and have the time to work on a future
such as what Igor is talking about.

To see ActionScript and Flex leave it's little safe home at Adobe and
the FlashPlayer only to find itself in the hands of new web devs
experiencing an tight middle tier language to get things done in the
new age would be poetic justice for my last decade and dealings with
Adobe.

I'll check this stuff out Igor.

Mike

--