From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Falcon :: Unit tests - as3 language level
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:23:08 GMT
> I see you made a couple commits as to testing in the project, how are we doing this?

Adobe is willing to donate some test code but that might take some time due to legal review
and other hassles. Adobe didn't develop many MXML tests so I was planning to starting writing
an MXML test suite from scratch soon, and hope that others pitch in to help.

As for ActionScript, starting with a port of Tamarin sounds like a good idea. (Adobe basically
used Tamarin more-or-less as-is, but that probably creates legal issues for donation

I also want to have tests of compiling the framework SWCs and any other "real world" code
that people are willing to donate.

> I noticed the code contains a lot of assert statements, what is the "rule" for using
these?

The only rule I can think of is that asserts should not have side-effects. Developers just
stuck in asserts when they wanted to do sanity checks that various conditions expected to
be true are actually true. I think they have zero-cost runtime cost in Java when you don't
enable asserts.

> Do you have any plans for language level unit tests?

Yes, I think we need unit tests for things like node classes in addition to tests of particular
features, end-to-end, where you compile and  run and check to see whether the program worked
correctly. I was planning to start writing some unit tests for MXML node classes and hope
that other folks will help me. I'll probably leave AS node classes to you and others; the
eventual Adobe test donation might also have a fair amount of these.

- Gordon