From "Michael A. Labriola" <labri...@digitalprimates.net>
Subject RE: Cross-compiling Flex to HTML5/Javascript (Was : Update on Falcon donation)
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:19:29 GMT
>Can you please elaborate?

>The point I was trying to make was that HTML5 language itself is not designed to be extensible.
 Using Javascript does not really count (in this
>context)

>As far as using the DOM, I assume you mean the Microdata format.  This results in non-standard
HTML most of the time and is not supported across browsers.  And it deals more with extending
data semantics and >not functional extension.

In flex, IMO, we worried too much about extension and not enough about composition. So long
as I have a good series of patterns (and the discipline to follow them) then I can look at
the HTML DOM elements as the Atoms of the universe and assembly them with some bonds (JavaScript)
to make an element. And then in turn assemble those to make any application.

So, the key is not trying to extend the Atom but trying to assemble it in useful ways and
allow those to be extended or recomposed. So far, I have found few limitations of this approach
and often times ended up much happier.

Mike