From "Michael A. Labriola" <labri...@digitalprimates.net>
Subject RE: SVN and issues with branching / consider how we use SVN going forward
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 18:36:44 GMT
>Interesting read.  Are you also pushing to make Git the default SCM?
>
>I'm not sure how far away we are from this model in some respects.  We have whiteboards
which sort of decentralize new development, and I am proposing an "unstable" branch that maps
to the "develop" >branch in the article (and "master" is "trunk").

>I don't know that I'd go with release branches if we can get enough folks to pound on
the promotions from unstable to trunk when they go in.

>And to answer Justin's question, merging by revision number worked pretty well for us.
 But yes, every once in a while you will hit merge-hell.  I'm just saying it is worth it in
order to protect the integrity of trunk.

If it's possible, yes, I really do think Git would help. The reason is that dealing with merge
issues in Git are infinitely easier and, at least 95% of the time, keeps us out of the merge-hell
that I think Justin legitimately fears.

The one nice thing about the release and feature branches is that it allows people to start
working toward future releases and grand visions while a current release is being stabilized.
For example the code many had in whiteboards that was destined for future releases.

Mike