From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Branching Strategy and SCM
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:12:41 GMT

On Aug 15, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Guthmann, Scott wrote:

>> 4. Classic Model (see Description 2) on SVN
>
> +1 non-binding.
>
> I do not see the strong evidence for moving to Git now.
>
> I wish we would delay this vote until the research can be done to establish the Git options
as *actual* choices that are supported through Apache. Lack of support for Git makes the Git
option a logical non-starter. Further, we don't know if Apache Infra is just lacking volunteers
before they support Git as an option or if there is more to the story. Three volunteers in
the Apache Flex project: Om, Jeff Conrad, and Carlos Rovira stated they are willing to do
this research to help us remove risk from the project and also provide support to Apache Infra
should volunteer time be the only factor preventing the use of Git as a standard supported
option. I believe it makes sense to delay this vote until these three report back on this
list about what Apache Infra needs to fully support Git before we consider Git to be a valid
choice that we should feel free to choose.

This is a good point:

> Note 1: The switch to Git will occur when Apache Infra approves Git as an
> official SCM option (and after any release that might be in-progress at that
> time.
>
> Note 2: Requires finding volunteers to work with Apache Infra and Apache
> Infra and Apache Incubator PMC approval.  If Apache does not approve, votes
> will be automatically re-cast for "SVN now and then on Git".

The reality here is:

Note 1: Git is an option as described on the various urls, but with limitations which make
it not yet "official".

Note 2: Requires volunteer work with Infra for the many tasks needed to make a Writable Git
archive work in a way that follows Foundation rules to preserve the IP. There is still work
to do, hooks to create, and runbooks to write.

This VOTE is really a compound vote around.

(A) Git vs. SVN - the Git and SVN hybrid that represents the ASF's current Git support was
not an option.

(B) Branching Strategy

Along with a poll regarding Git volunteers.

> We have heard claims that future work planned will be too hard to do unless we use Git
- but this is work we haven't started on and nobody has actually tried doing this work in
SVN and failed, yet. (Therefore this is a logical fallacy)
> We have also heard that there are multitudes of interested developers who will only work
on our project if Git is used - who are they? How are you able to accurately predict the future?
(again, a logical fallacy)

> I will say that the supporters of option #9 have been persuasive with me because they
are such strong advocates of this clearly better tool (Git) and model for this project. In
my view, their reasoning makes me wish to delay this decision and vote until after Git is
a supported option because we may have the ability to make Git a supported option ourselves.
And, the decision that Apache Infra has made to support SVN and not support Git may not be
just due to a lack of willing volunteers. Making the decision to move to a tool & model
that will *never be supported* by Apache Infra is a mistake that is preventable. I think we
need to find out more about what Apache Infra needs and not consider Git to be a valid option
before we know.

Git support is provisional, find out what needs to be done from Infra, but be very, very patient.
They are busy and the right person may not be present for weeks at a time.

Regards,
Dave