From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Use Unstable Branch
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 22:19:47 GMT
Hi,

Anything but option 1 from me.

Option 1 as suggested by Alex to use a single unstable branch is not considered best practice.

Apache's SVN own docs (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/doc/user/svn-best-practices.html)
give three options:
1. Never branch and work in trunk
2. Always branch ie one branch per change
3. Work in trunk but branch when needed.

Option 3 is used by Apache SVN project and many other Apache projects as far as I'm aware.

Do we really think our project is so "special" that we need to go against best practice?

No one has yet answered this:
How can you merge from unstable to trunk persons A changes when the unstable branch contains
persons A, B, C, D, E and F changes and each person may of made multiple check ins at different
(overlapping) times?

As far as I'm aware you can't do this via revision numbers. If you think it can be done (via
revision numbers or some other way) please give me a sample sequence of SVN commands that
would achieve it.

If we do go down the path of having a single unstable branch. What I think is likely to happen
is that as more and more changes are added to unstable it will become harder and harder to
merge any persons changes with trunk, this will cause delays with releases and waste time
with committers having to fight with SVN.

Justin