From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Cross-compiling Flex to HTML5/Javascript (Was : Update on Falcon donation)
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:09:14 GMT

On 8/30/12 1:36 PM, "jude" <flexcapacitor@gmail.com> wrote:

> To *guarantee* we get the same results across browsers we need to use
> something like the drawing canvas or SVG (or drawing commands) such as
> Flash uses itself REGARDLESS of performance. If we depend on browser
> manufacturers for different feature sets or API's we will be waiting a long
> time. Architecture IMHO is more important than speed because in time CPU
> and GPU performance will increase, in time bandwidth will increase and
> software performance will increase.
That's an interesting point:  I would say targeting HTML(5) can be
successful without guaranteeing same results across browsers.  It might be a
formidable amount of work to try to guarantee results given that the browser
manufacturers themselves don't care and have successfully pushed that task
on the developers.

> Remember when iOS 5 came out a year or so ago? The HTML5 performance in
> that browser was 2FPS. After that update it was 35-40FPS. A 2000% increase.
> [1]
Yes, things get faster, but I would say that performance has been an issue
for Flex for its entire lifetime, and faster devices have not alleviated the
problem.  If Flex 1.0 had gone for a cleaner architecture, it isn't clear it
would have been successful enough to end up here in Apache.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team