From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Automatically downloading playerglobal, airglobal, Pixel Bender, Debug Player -- What constitutes explicitly choosing in non-default build option in a build script?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 05:17:39 GMT

On 8/15/12 2:55 PM, "Jeff Conrad" <jeffxpx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Question(s):
>
> If we add prompts to download these items for the user, can we have
> the prompt itself default to a 'yes' for a category X licensed item
> like player/air global, Pixel Bender, or the Standalone Debug Flash
> Player or does that violate the part about allowing the user to
> explicitly choose?
After Bertrand's email there was another thread where we got a "ruling" that
playerglobal.swc was a "prerequisite".  That is because it isn't an option.
Nothing will compile without it.  It represents the platform, and none of
its binary information goes into the SWF.

So, there is no way to auto-download that within Apache rules AFAICT.  We
could go through the process of becoming making Apache an Adobe
re-distributor, but I'm not sure that's worth the effort.  It also possible
that Spoon or some other entity could become and Adobe redistributor and
distribute its own packages that look much more like what Adobe SDKs do
today.

> Also, was the BlazeDS support defaulted to 'no' because it's optional
> and is currently a huge download or was the reasoning based on the
> license?
>
> Jeff
BlazeDS is optional.  You can write apps without it.  We had to make it
optional because it is under MPL at this time.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team