From Carol Frampton <cfram...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 18:02:14 GMT

On 8/14/12 11 :58AM, "Carlos Rovira" <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:

>> I think the conversation and relative merits is exactly what we should
>>be
>> doing. The only thing I wish is that, like other areas of the project,
>>we
>> didn't have to wait on someone else. If we could just demonstrate the
>> advantages of Git instead of talking about them in the abstract, I
>>think we
>> would have less issue. The problem here with Git is its different. And,
>> unfortunately, without an understanding of those advantages and how they
>> might help us longer term it is very difficult for anyone to agree that
>>we
>> should make that change now.
>>
>> The discussion is golden. I think the real question is, once we make a
>> decision can everyone support it and move forward or does anyone take
>>their
>> toys and go home.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>Mike, I think we are debated long enough about GIT with lots of arguments.
>Those arguments still are not valid if people does not want to take a
>little effort: learn a new tool that only extends SVN to the better. The
>only arguments are that Apache official SCM is SVN, that there is no full
>support and that "I only want to talk about new code, but don't want to
>take the effort of know why GIT is  better for the project".
>
>Then if even people like you that would vote for GIT in first instance,
>ends voting for the opposite...I think we are not doing us a favor.
>
>If we are investing lots of mails here is because many of think this is
>really important. And this should be what mentors should valorate.
>
>This decision would change the future of Flex, since people would
>colaborate or not in determinated areas of development if they feels
>comfortable with the model of development.
>
>If instead of having branch to test stuff, we must to go over dispare
>whiteboards that are isolated. That will be a total nightmare and this
>project could end without very few people investing time.

Carlos.

I've spent the day reading about Git.  I'd have no problem switching to
Git when it becomes a supported tool so don't go saying people don't want
to spend the time learning a new tool.

If you'd rather create a branch in branches rather than in whiteboards so
you can share your work go ahead.  No one is stopping you.

Carol