From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: What would it take to move to Git?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:04:11 GMT

On 8/10/12 11:55 AM, "Omar Gonzalez" <omarg.developer@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  I'm guessing we are one of the larger
>> projects at Apache in terms of code size
>

> This is precisely why I think we should strongly consider moving to Git.
>
> I understand the apprehension some may have with learn "Yet Another SCM
> Control", but really? How many other SCM systems have you used besides SVN
> and maybe CVS? I'm sure its not all that many. The commands are not that
> difficult to learn. There's not that many. The concepts are similar, the
> tools are just better in Git.
>
> It's also not something that has to prevent work today. Moving to Git would
> require establishing workflow for how to work with it and documenting it so
> a transition can be made that doesn't impede everyone's current progress.
>
> The current Git fork is getting sync'd to our SVN already. I would be
> willing to take the lead and experiment with the Git repository by making a
> fork to play around with and define and document in Confluence all of the
> workflows for moving to it. Once that's done we can figure out when to make
> the actual move and set a date and make a transition. Work on SVN can
> continue the whole time.

There's no guarantee the project will decide to move to Git, but if you can
show us how to get there that will probably help.

I've spent the morning trying to use Git.  I gave up and am now reading the
doc, because it is so different from SVN.  I tried a GUI (GitHub for Mac)
but it seems tied to GitHub.  I don't know how to redirect it to look at
git.apache.org.  The GUI loves to show me commit records, but not the files
themselves.  So now I am trying to learn the CLI.

I am greatly concerned about disk space utilization if you have a snapshot
of everything including changes.  Has anyone synced up with Apache Flex Git
since we stuffed it with Mustella tests?  Will each branch/fork/clone we
make actually replicate all of that data?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team